Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Anthem for a Generation

The other day I got a tune stuck in my head, so I made up words I could sing to it. It went like this…

I’ll tell you,
If I like it,
And I’ll lie there,
As you do it some more.

I know, I know. GENIUS. And because I write and perform for a sketch troupe (Yes, “TROUPE,” Mr. Lippe) my first thought was that this little ditty had to be turned into a song, a song we could perform on stage to the laughter and applause of thousands of adoring fans. But what would the song be about? What?

And then it hit me. Apathy. I was going to write the definitive song about apathy. It would be a rallying cry that would ring out the truth about people who just don’t care enough to do anything. It would shame those lazy bums into getting off their asses and doing something for once in their lives. Years from now it would be mentioned in textbooks how I galvanized a generation through a humorous song.

And what a song it was going to be. The lyrics would be funny but honest, and most likely rhyme. They’d definitely have to be better than that crap I’d thought up earlier. And the music. Something catchy and inspirational. I don’t actually read music, so I’d need to learn how to do that first.

The more I thought about it the more I realized that if I wanted to write the definitive song about apathy it was going to take a lot of work. So I didn’t bother with it at all.

- CPW

www.thewaitstaff.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home